Access to HE Diploma (Education) - Open College Network West Midlands
Course Code AHEDP40003887
Study Mode Part Time
Duration One Year
Campus Wellington Road Campus | Paget Road Campus
If you are 19 or over and want a career in education but lack the necessary qualifications to go to university our Access to Higher Education Diploma (Education) course will give you the skills you need to go on to a degree.
An Access to Higher Education qualification is a fast-track course and widely recognised by universities and bridges the gap between existing education and what is needed to study at degree level.
The Education pathway is an intensive and challenging one-year course that will give you an overview of education in the 21st century, help you to develop the skills, knowledge and confidence needed for university.
To succeed on this course you will need to be committed and focused and have a zest for learning, as well as good time management skills, particularly if you work and have family responsibilities.
Before you embark on the course it is important that you know what you want to study at university, have thoroughly researched your chosen course and attended university open days.
If you want to pursue a career in education our Access to HE (Education Pathway) course will set you on the road to a great career as a teacher.
This is a one year part-time course - 14 hours per week.
Ideally, you will need to have GCSEs grade C (4) or above in English and maths, however, if you do not possess these qualifications, you will need to demonstrate the following in a rigorous admissions process:
- Level 2 maths skills via online assessment and
- Level 2 English skills through online and written assessments
- A valid DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check
- A 60-hour block or 1/2 a day a week work placement in the educational establishment that you wish to progress into employment with
Please note - if you want to work in primary school education you must also have, or apply to do, GCSE Science alongside this course.
The Education pathway will focus on:
- Teaching in Practice
- Education in Context
- Cultural Curriculum
- Diploma Core
You will also develop your ICT skills
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your understanding of the underpinning skills, knowledge and academic conventions needed for higher education
- Learn how to research, design, plan and write educational assignments as well as developing your critical and evaluative thinking skills
- Develop an appreciation for the promotion of active reading to identify relevant information and take part in discussions and debates based on informed reading
- Develop your analytical skills to give you the confidence to participate in verbal and written educational debate
- Develop your practical skills and appreciate the need for attention to detail
This is an assessment-based course and will include a combination of essays, reports, presentations, micro-teach sessions, group discussions and timed examinations.
The skills you will learn on this course will enable you to:
- Move on to a higher education course in education, particularly teaching (you are advised to check that the Access to HE course is accepted as entry to your chosen university course)
- Pursue a career in the education sector
EMPLOYMENT BY REGION
© 2017 City of Wolverhampton College, All Rights Reserved. |