Animal Care Level 2 First Award
Course Code AN2OW
Study Mode Full Time
Duration One Year
Campus Paget Road Campus | Northycote Farm
Animal care is a vital sub-sector within the land-based industry and is important to the UK economy. This course is designed to give an introductory overview to some of the key principles, knowledge, understanding and skills relevant to the animal care sector. You will study animal health as this knowledge is essential when caring for animals. You will also develop your safe animal handling skills, which are vital in order to effectively care for animals.
We want you to be as passionate about the study of animal care as we are and we want you to learn, achieve and succeed in your chosen career.
Please note, this course must be studied alongside our Applied Science BTEC Diploma Level 2 qualification.
You are required to have:
- Four or more GCSESs at Grade E or above OR
- successful completion of a full level 1 study programme
- You will also be required to attend a college interview/assessment
During this course you will study: (modules)
- Animal Health - how to assess the health of dogs, cats, rabbits, goats, chickens and bearded dragons and understand about disease and parasite prevention
- Animal Handling - become competent in handling and restraining small animals, large animals, exotic animals and reptiles.
- Animal Welfare
- Animal Housing and Accommodation
By studying this course you will:
- Understand the essential signs of good and ill health in animals
- Understand common diseases, their causes, transmission and treatment
- Understand the signs, symptoms, prevention and treatment of common parasites
- Understand safe handling and restraint techniques
- Demonstrate safe handling and restraint techniques used with animals
- Understand the different roles of animals and animal-related organisations in society
- Understand animal welfare and legislation
- Understand the responsibilities involved in caring for animals
- Understand how to select animal accommodation
- Prepare and maintain animal accommodation
- Be able to clean out animal accommodation
You will be assessed via one external examination and internal assignments including practical activities.
After you have successfully completed this course you can progress on to Level 3 90 credit Diploma in Animal Management, Applied Science, Higher Education, Apprenticeships and Employment.
EMPLOYMENT BY REGION
© 2018 City of Wolverhampton College, All Rights Reserved. |