Journalism NCTJ Level 3 Diploma
Course Code JOUDP50111036
Study Mode Full Time | Full Time
Duration One Year | One Year
Campus Paget Road Campus | Paget Road Campus
Recognised by editors across the country as the only relevant course for new journalists, the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) Diploma is the course for you if you want to work as journalist or reporter.
With superb grades year after year and fantastic links with local media organisation, our NCTJ diploma has been named the best NCTJ further education FE course in the country for the last eight year. This has been achieved through delivering a course led by industry professionals who provide you with the best possible route into gaining employment into the journalism career you are looking for.
The course is taught through a combination of lectures and hands-on practical experience. We have excellent contacts with editors across the region who regularly interview learners for job opportunities, with one local newspaper paper only recruiting from this NCTJ course.
Last year 100% of students gained jobs as journalists, some receiving offers even before they had completed the course.
This course is an excellent alternative to university for students who would prefer to take a professional route into journalism, but is also designed for graduates who wish to specialise in journalism and is the qualification demanded by editors, irrespective of your degree.
To access this course you are required to:
- Have five or more GCSEs at Grade C / 4 or above including English and maths
- Ideally have two A Levels or an equivalent Level 3 qualification such as a BTEC Diploma
- Attend an interview and sit a national entrance exam set by the NCTJ
Need support with funding for the Journalism course? The Journalism Diversity Fund may be able to help: http://www.journalismdiversityfund.com
During this course you will study:
- Journalist reporting
- Court reporting
- Essential Media Law
- Essential public affairs
- Video journalism for online
- Journalism ethics
- You will also complete a work placement in a local paper and create a portfolio of stories
By studying this course you will:
- Be part of a programme of study that has excellent pass rates
- Be on a course that for four years running is the best in the country
- Be taught by our experienced, knowledgeable and talented Journalism lecturing team
- Produce articles and features that will be published in newspapers
- Have the opportunity to use a wide range of industry software and equipment
- Gain a work placement to work alongside industry professionals
- Improve your knowledge of what journalism opportunities are available
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills
- Improve your employability skills
The course is assessment based and assessment is continuous throughout the year both in lessons, set work, exams and a portfolio. Each unit will be assessed and awarded with a final grade of A to E, learners who achieve A to C grades in each exam and 100 words per minute shorthand will achieve gold standard accreditation and pass the full diploma.
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in print journalism, broadcast journalism, as a press officer, in public relations, marketing or web authoring
- Progress on to employment or a relevant university degree
EMPLOYMENT BY REGION
© 2019 City of Wolverhampton College, All Rights Reserved. |