Whether you want to cook up a great career as a professional chef, turn out tempting freshly-made bread cakes and pastries, or have a front of house role in a restaurant or pub, the professional training facilities at the Metro One campus are the best place to develop your skills.
As a trainee chef you’ll learn how to prepare and cook fish, meat, poultry and vegetables, develop menus and dish-up delicious two and three-course lunches and evening meals for diners in the popular on-site Academy restaurant.
If you’re training in a front of house role, you’ll learn the important skills you need – such as making reservations, how to lay tables, taking orders from customers, serving drinks and meals, and dealing with customer enquiries – by working in the Academy restaurant during the lunch time and evening service.
The 42-seater fully licensed Academy restaurant offers:
- Delicious two-course and three-course lunches and dinners during term time
- Regular themed evenings, including the extremely popular Christmas meals
- A large picture window enabling diners to watch you at work in the kitchen – and for you to see them enjoying the food you have prepared and served
In addition, the restaurant offers hospitality and catering for private events and group bookings so you’ll gain experience of working at large corporate-style events.
As a bakery student you’ll learn your skills in the fully functioning commercial bakery which boasts:
- Four-deck industry-standard bread ovens
- Table-top and floor-standing mixers, dough provers, bun divider and donut machine
- On-site shop, open to the public each weekday during term time.
You’ll prepare and produce a range of different bakery goods every day, get the chance to sell what you’ve made to customers in the bakery shop and work with fellow students to meet orders for bespoke celebration cakes and festive goods – including Christmas cakes, mince pies and yule logs – gaining valuable experience of working in a busy city centre location with a fast turnover of fresh products.