If you are 19+ and want to study at level 3 the course will have fees attached. 

 You have some options: 

  • Pay in full 
  • Pay in monthly instalments with an initial deposit  
  • Apply for an Advanced Learner Loan online 

Student loans have traditionally only been available to students studying at degree level, but now there is also a loan scheme to help you access the financial support you might need to study for a qualification at Level 3 or above. 

You do not have to start paying back the loan until you have left the course and are earning over £27,295 a year. 

The loans are not means-tested (income is not taken into account) and there is no credit check. 

To qualify for a loan you must: 

  • Be aged 19 or over at the start of your course
  • Be resident in the UK and studying at an approved college or training organisation in England
  • Loans are funds dependant and approved on a first come first served basis

Loans are available for: 

Aged 19-23 if you already have a Level 3 qualification and applying to study for another Level 3 or above 


Aged 19+: Applying to study at Level 3 or above 

Courses are eligible for funding: 

Eligible courses include:
• Access to HE Diploma
• Level 3 Certificate or Diploma
• Level 4 Certificate or Diploma
• Advanced Apprenticeship or Higher Apprenticeship
• Some Level 5 and 6 courses 

Advanced Learner Loan FAQ’s 

The majority of applications submitted online should take four to five days. Other applications will be processed within two to four weeks. This could take longer if you are not a UK citizen so please apply early. 

Research shows that people with a Level 3 qualification or above earn more than those who are not similarly qualified. Repayments will be made at 9% of your annual earnings over £27,295. Your annual repayment amount will be 9% of any income you earn over £27,295. For more information on repayments visit www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/what-you-pay

For all eligible courses the loan will be up to 100% of the cost of the training including course and material fees. This could be from £300 upwards depending on the individual course.
You don’t have to borrow the full cost of your course – you can pay for some of it yourself if you wish.

No. You will only have to apply for one loan to cover the whole length of your course – you don’t have to reapply each year – one course, one loan.

The money will be paid directly to the college once we confirm that you have attended the course for two weeks.

You do not have to pay back the loan until your course has finished and you are earning over ££27,295 per year.

Access to HE: If you receive a loan to study for an Access to HE course, and then move on to do a HE course, the amount outstanding on your loan for your access course will be written off once you complete your HE qualification.

If you’re an employee your employer will work out your repayments and take them out of your salary with your tax.

If you’re self employed you make repayments as part of your Self Assessment Tax Return.

You can pay off some or all of your loan at any time without incurring an extra charge.

If you leave or change your course after two weeks you will have to pay back any money that has been paid to the college.

If you want to change your course, speak to a member of staff in the Student Hub to see if the loan can be transferred.

You will need to contact the loan company on 0300 100 0619. If you are ineligible for the loan you will need to notify the Student Hub as soon as possible as you will become liable for the course fees.

Please note if your loan is not fully approved then you will be liable for the course fees.

No, you can pay for the fees yourself and we will be happy to set up a payment plan for you, or alternatively if you have a company that is willing to sponsor you we can accept payment from them by a company letter.

How do I apply for the Advanced Learner Loan? 

You can: 

 - Complete an online application form 
– Apply by post 

To apply you will need your National Insurance Number and a form of identity eg passport or birth certificate. You will also need a learning and funding information letter, available from the Student Hub. 

Is there any additional financial support available? 

Yes, there is a bursary fund that is provided to all colleges for students who are receiving the Advanced Learner Loan. The bursary fund can offer support with childcare, travel, equipment and printing costs. In addition, laptops are available to loan for the duration of the course. Please speak to a member of staff in the college’s Student Hub, as you will receive this support directly from the college.