Aged 19-23?

Applying to study at Level 1, 2 or first full Level 3 qualification.

Aged 24+

Applying to study at Level 2 or below

 You may be able to access some financial support. 

Financial support is available to students who face the greatest barriers to entering, continuing and succeeding in Further Education. For students who are 19-23 and studying their first level 3 or below, or students who are 24 or over and studying level 2 or below, funds are provided by the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) / West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) to colleges and then distributed to those students whose effective participation in education and training may not be possible without the provision of appropriate levels of financial support. 

Who can apply? 

Any student enrolled on an eligible course (check with a member of staff in the Student Hub) and the household income is £30,000 or below per year. 

The fund can offer support with the following: 

  • Tuition/exam fees for part-time courses (please note this is only if you are eligible for funding – you need to refer to the Student Eligibility for Funding form as there may be other routes of funding for you). 
  • Travel 
  • Childcare 
  • Equipment/uniform where necessary  
  • Printing credit 
  • Free School Meals* 

*Students are eligible for a free meal if they: 

  • have their 19th birthday during their study programme: they remain eligible for a free meal until the end of the academic year in which that birthday occurs, or to the end of their study programme, whichever is sooner 
  • are aged between 19 and 25 and are subject to a Learning Difficulty Assessment (LDA) or Education Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan) and ESF students attending their provision if they meet the eligibility criteria 

How do students apply? 

There is a Financial Support Application Form, which is downloadable from the bottom of this section. Alternatively, you can pick one up at any one of our Student Hubs. 

Once you have completed the application, it must be submitted to the Student Hub along with proof of household income. Please refer to the application form for evidence required as proof of household income. 

Please note that all information supplied to the college remains confidential. 

Once your application has been received it will be assessed within 5 working days of receipt and if successful you will receive a letter sent to your email providing details of your award. Please be aware that this might not be possible in peak times (September), so the earlier you submit your application the better. 

  Complete the Online Financial Support Application Form 

Download the Financial Support Application Form 

What happens next?

Once your application has been assessed, if you are eligible for funding you will be issued with an award letter, which you will need to sign in order to accept your award. The letter should be kept safe as you may need to present it again to confirm your award. 

If you have been awarded a bus pass, or a scratch card day saver (if you are part-time), you will need to collect these from the Student Hub. 


If I have to pay full cost for my course, what are my options? 

You will be advised on the initial payment and then subsequent monthly affordable payments will be set up by Direct Debit to be completed before the end of the course duration. 

How do I apply for other financial support? 

If you are having other financial difficulties that are not included within this application process, please speak to the Student Hub team for advice  

How do I apply for funding to help with childcare costs? 

Once the childcare application has been submitted to the Student Hub, the form will be assessed and if successful a Service Level Agreement will be sent to the childcare provider to sign and return. Once this has been done a letter confirming your childcare support will be sent to you via your email and the childcare provider. 

How will my childcare be paid? 

The childcare provider will be advised to invoice the college monthly and they will be paid in the form of a BACS payment on a monthly basis. 

*Please note that all the above are subject to change