City of Wolverhampton College has joined forces with colleges from across the region to sign a Safer Students Charter, affirming its commitment to creating a culture of safety for all students.
The charter, developed by the Colleges West Midlands network, contains five safety elements to support students and help them to learn and develop by:
- Treating all students as active partners in learning and ensuring all college staff treat students with respect, consult with them and ask and listen to their views
- Creating an environment where peer-on-peer sexual assault and sexual violence is not tolerated and individuals can speak out and receive support
- Promoting equality, celebrating diversity, and ensuring whatever a student’s identity they will feel welcomed, supported, safe and included
- Providing opportunities for involvement in a calendar of themed activities to develop skills, confidence and resilience in preparing for the future
- Empowering students to become informed and healthy citizens.
In addition, members of the Colleges West Midlands network will work together to:
- Encourage all member colleges to adopt and promote the Charter to shape student safety
- Develop a simple tracking system to measure progress and ensure student safety is enhanced
- Develop a plan for student activities and to promote shared resources
- Work with other partners to share information where it supports student’s safety and well-being.