As a member of staff at City of Wolverhampton College, you are entitled at a number of rewards and benefits. These benefits range from healthcare plans, childcare schemes, and even a college lottery! Take a look at what we offer:
At the college, we have an Employee Assistance Provider which is run by Workplace Wellness (part of Vita Health Group) who provide the following services to our staff:
This service remains completely confidential and is available 24/7 and 365 days a year. They can provide face to face counselling and a new service for Computerised Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (cCBT) with telephonic sessions with a Wellbeing Therapist in accordance with the NICE Stepped Model of Care to support our mental health strategy. We know that staff members can be waiting for weeks to receive CBT counselling and this is an alternative solution that can be put in place fairly quickly. Calls to the helpline are unlimited for staff and up to 6 sessions of face to face counselling can be provided per issue.
Legal & Life Management Information Service
There is also a Legal and Information Team who can provide information on a range of other issues which can include marital/family divorce, separation, domestic conflicts, consumer rights, landlord & tenancy advice, probate etc. The staff that provide this service have either a legal background or have worked with the Citizens Advice Bureau.
Debt Management Support
They can provide debt counselling, budgeting, negotiating with creditors/freezing interest payments, debt health check – indicating where savings can be made and work with Payplan, who have over 300 debt management professionals.
They can also provide career coaching – staff can access 1 x 50 minute session per annum with a career coach to discuss internal career development such as: focusing on achieving short, medium and long-term goals, career decisions and self-awareness, going for promotion, managing the first 60 days in a role etc.
All contact that staff have with this service remains confidential and is not disclosed to the College.
Annual holiday entitlement is calculated dependent upon what contract you are appointed onto.
- If you are a manager your full annual holiday entitlement is 39 days, plus an additional 8 Statutory Bank Holidays and up to 3 Close-Down days (usually between Christmas and New Year).
- If you are a lecturer your full annual holiday entitlement is 40 days, plus an additional 8 Statutory Bank Holidays and up to 3 Close-Down days (usually between Christmas and New Year).
- If you join us as a support member of staff your full annual holiday entitlement is 32 days, plus an additional 8 Statutory Bank Holidays and up to 3 Close-Down days (usually between Christmas and New Year).
- If you join us within our annual holiday year which runs from 1 August to 31 July, your holiday will be pro-rated for the first year.
- If you are appointed as Term Time only staff, we pay your salary throughout the year and this includes your holiday entitlement.
- For Lecturer Variable Hours staff, for every hour worked, there is a holiday calculation that is shown on your pay slip.
Whilst the college runs many activities throughout the year on health & wellbeing activities, we have one day in July that the whole college meets on one of our sites and enjoys activities that are fitness, relaxation, hobbies, mindfulness related. Staff can chose how much or how little they want to do on that day which could be just bringing a book in to read, to taking part in activities such as: dog grooming, laughter yoga, learning how to build a brick wall, or taking part in team activities such as football or MissionPossible (you need to join us to find out what this is!!)
Once you are an employee of the college you are given a log-in to your own portal that is personal to you. This means that you can change personal information, book your holidays, book onto training courses, update your KPI’s, see your payslips, submit mileage expenses etc from the comfort of your own home via your smart phone, ipad, computer as well as at work. This keeps your personal information in one place and easily accessible by you.
Lots of employers have stopped recognising long service or only recognise 20 years plus. As a college we want to recognise all our employees irrespective of length of service, however, we especially recognise the following milestones:
- 1 completed years’ service – a card is sent to you
- 5 completed years’ service – a Love to Shop voucher for you to spend as you wish
- 10 completed years’ service – a choice from a brochure that contains several choices that include a range of products that include watches, clocks, jewellery, homeware, technology or one of 217 experience days (Virgin’s Scarlett experiences)
- 15 completed years’ service – a choice from a brochure that contains several choices that include a different range of watches, clocks, jewellery, homeware, technology with a selection of Spa days/Virgin theatre experiences
- 20 completed years’ service – a choice from a brochure that contains several choices that include Rotary/Armani/Michael Kors watches, clocks, jewellery (including Gucci), technology including an LED TV, Samsung tablet/ Bose sound system, Virgin experiences (Chrome selection) – this includes hotel breaks, day trip to Paris or a weekend yacht sailing!
Paycare make healthcare cost recovery easy. Their Healthcare Benefits Plans include individual cover, family health cover and a senior plan for the over 64s. These benefit plans enable you to reclaim 100% of money spent on healthcare (up to an annual limit) for a simple monthly payment.
Their plans offer health cover for dental costs, optical cover and eye tests, chiropody, acupuncture, chiropractic, physiotherapy and much more. There’s even personal accident cover and hospital inpatient cover included in some policies. Refunds are prompt, usually within 48 hours of receipt, directly into your bank or building society account – so you are never left out of pocket for long.
For more information go to http://www.paycare.org/
Starting from as little as £7.63 per month:
- Claim back Cash on a range of everyday healthcare costs, including dental, optical and therapy treatments, plus much more
- 24/7 GP Consultation service
- 24/7 counselling and information helpline
- Discounts & Special Offers
- Option to join BHSF Care4Life for as little as £2.70 per month which pays out £5,000 to your estate after your death
Join for FREE and enjoy:
- Discounts at your favourite high street stores
- New offers added regularly
- Easy to access offers – save your favourites
- 10 handy categories to browse through at your leisure
- Fabulous gifts to treat your loved ones
There’s something for everyone!
We work with Midlands Occupational Health Services (MOHS) who provide us with an Occupational Health specialist who works on site with us one day a week. This means that the clinical support and escalation of issues is contained within the professional capacity of MOHS whilst the College has the benefit of having an individual on site who understands the requirements of working in a College environment. During the time our Occupational Health Advisor is on site, they work with staff providing medical support following or during a period of illness, and conduct regular health checks for individuals who are identified as requiring support.
We have engaged with Matt Farrow who is a qualified physiotherapist based on the Compton Road in Wolverhampton. Matt works with the College to provide staff with physiotherapy support to assist with health conditions to prevent or reduce non attendance at work.
We have engaged with Steve Woods – Director – Experiential Hypnosis Ltd, who is working with the College to assist staff with stress management. Some of these sessions will be group sessions and some individual. Steve runs regular sessions for staff on other topics including: getting better sleep and weight management as part of our Health & Wellbeing Strategy.
We have our own College Lottery!
How it works:
- You give us your agreement to be a part of the Lottery
- We deduct £1 per month from your salary
- All the money goes into one pot
- We put your payroll number into a file
- A winning payroll number is randomly selected each month from those staff contributing
- The winner takes all!
We undertake an employee survey each year usually in June. The survey covers a variety of questions that are aimed to capture the engagement and satisfaction of staff. We strongly encourage staff to complete the survey so that we are aware of the changes that staff desire, as without this information, we may be unable to be as effective in our actions to produce positive change.
Whilst whatever we do, we can’t please all of the people all of the time but our aim is to try and please most of the people, most of the time!
The College has joined forces with the Gems at Work team who throughout the year offer the College the opportunity to trial products. The products are free to staff and all they ask in return is for staff to complete a very short questionnaire about the product. Some of the products we have trialled so far have included Belvita Softbakes, Innocent Coconut Water, John Freida hair products and Lindor Chocolate! All you have to do is to watch out for the emails that tell you what products have arrived and where they can be obtained from, trial the product and enjoy, and then leave feedback on the link provided!
Each July we have a celebration day for all staff. We run this at an external event and we celebrate staff success. The nominations for all awards include who both students and staff think should be rewarded. All staff have the opportunity to put themselves and others forward as individuals or teams for several awards – 2018 awards include the following:
- Highly Effective Employer Engagement Award
- Going Above & Beyond for Customers Award
- Going Above & Beyond for Students Award
- Going Above & Beyond for Staff Award
- Going Above & Beyond for Employers/Partners Award
- Best Charitable Award
- Best Newcomer Award
- Best Team Leader Award
We also use this opportunity to welcome our staff apprentices and also to recognise staff’s long service awards – this year celebrating 5, 10, 15 and 20 years’ service.
We have a well-equipped gym and sports hall on site at Wellington Road which is available for staff to use via a membership or take part in planned activities.
At Metro 1 campus (City Centre), we have a restaurant open to the public where food is prepared and served by our students which is excellent value for money.
Also at Metro 1 campus (City Centre) you can book in for hair and beauty treatments which again is excellent value for money.
We offer enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption pay over and above the statutory requirements. We also offer the same enhancements on shared parental leave.
We also recognise that there are times when people are carers that unforeseen circumstances happen and staff can take paid Emergency leave.
Regrettably on occasions people lose loved ones and we have a clear policy that allows staff to have paid time off in these circumstances.
Over 1/3 of our staff also work fractional hours (which means that they are not employed as full time workers). This works well for many people for a variety of different reasons.