A Level Art
Course Code ARTAS60147064
Study Mode Full Time
Duration Two Years
Campus Paget Road Campus
This A Level will prepare you for your future as one of the next generation of artists and designers.
This course offers you the opportunity to explore a wide range of practical media, technical methods and a variety of theoretical ideas that are central to art and design in its contemporary context. It provides an intensive and realistic experience in a range of specialist areas and is organised in such a way that you are encouraged to build upon your previous experience while developing new skills, knowledge and understanding of your personal practice.
This course will give you experience as you may have the opportunity to study different art and design disciplines including 3D design, visual studies, textiles, illustration, photography, print making and graphic design. Each term you will work on a number of assignments and exhibit your practical work around the college with an end of year final exhibition in the city centre. You will take part in practical workshops, lectures, debates, gallery visits and independent research. You will learn new skills and develop experience in a number of specialist techniques and approaches from an experienced and dedicated tutor, together with a range of guest speakers. We will develop your creative potential while improving your understanding of visual communication.
You will train in our dedicated facilities which include dedicated 3D, graphics, fashion and print making studios together with a range of classrooms and facilities on campus available to you including digital recording studios, TV Studios and editing suites. Your tutor is active within the art and design industry and has a wealth of knowledge and experience to call upon enabling you the best opportunity to progress in your chosen career.
As part of the National Skills Academy for Creative and Culture we pride ourselves as being at the forefront of education and training for the ever changing art and design industry. Linking with local artists and companies and regularly hosting guest speakers allows all learners to gain current and relevant training which gives them not just a qualification, but the experience in the career they wish to pursue.
Arts Council England has endorsed the quality of our teaching and learning and links with employers by awarding us 'Arts Mark Gold'.
Five or more GCSEs at Grade C including English, Mathematics and Art.
During this course you may have the opportunity to study:
- Fine Art
- Graphic Communication
- Textile Design
- Three-dimensional Design
By studying this course you will develop practical and theoretical knowledge and understanding of:
- Relevant materials, processes, technologies and resources
- How ideas, feelings and meanings can be conveyed and interpreted in images and artefacts
- How images and artefacts relate to the time and place in which they were made and to their social and cultural contexts
- Continuity and change in different genres, styles and traditions
- A working vocabulary and specialist terminology
- You will also develop the skills to:
- Record experiences and observations, in a variety of ways using drawing or other appropriate visual forms; undertake research; and gather, select and organize visual and other appropriate information
- Explore relevant resources; analyse, discuss and evaluate images, objects and artefacts; and make and record more independent judgements
- Use knowledge and the understanding of the work of others to develop and extend thinking and inform own work
- Generate and explore potential lines of enquiry using appropriate media and techniques
- Apply knowledge and understanding in making images and artefacts; review and modify work; and plan and develop ideas in the light of their own and others' evaluations
- Organise, select and communicate ideas, solutions and responses, and present them in a range of visual, tactile and/or sensory forms
You will be assessed by two exams and two coursework portfolios
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in a range of areas including teaching, creative industries and design.
- Progress on to Higher Education, employment or an apprenticeship
EMPLOYMENT BY REGION
© 2017 City of Wolverhampton College, All Rights Reserved. |